Windows 8 - Not as Intuitive as it Should Be | Things Worth Reading

Pages

A real take on life and living it.

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Windows 8 - Not as Intuitive as it Should Be

 The New York Times recently published an article about the upcoming release of Windows 8. I'm sure that everybody remembers the fiasco that was Windows Vista only a few years ago. If you're like me, it was hard to forget. I don't ever want to go through anything like that again.

I know a software release is not as big a tragedy as a hurricane or earthquake but those things are meant to destroy and we are just trying to keep out of the way. A computer operating system is meant to help the end user, to make life easier. We should not be trying to keep out of its way.

Probably the biggest fear that end users have right now is the influence Microsoft has over computer vendors. During the release of Windows Vista all PC vendors stopped offering the XP operating system. You could still get it if you bought it separately (for a significant price increase) but it was not offered with new computers as soon as Windows Vista was released. I don't think the market's changed and I am sure that Microsoft will strong-arm the market into selling only the new version of Windows. I just hope that Windows 8 is not as big a failure as Windows Vista.

I have to admit that I haven't used Windows 8 yet (I'm still scared) but there are a few things that are obvious to anyone with the time to look. First, the operating system is obviously set up for use with a mobile device. I realize that tablets are fun to play with and that a large part of the market is taken up with tablet sales but if I got as much work done on my computer at work as I do with my iPhone at home, there would be a lot more solitaire playing and a lot less document writing.

Second, there is a 'desktop' mode to placate people like me who have spend hundreds of hours learning to optimize my interface with the machine. I think we all recognize this for what it is 'bull crap.' You either have a tablet based operating system or a desktop version. Only someone as stupid as the Microsoft marketing department would believe that two is really better than one.

Finally, this new operating system is obviously trying to compete with better (or at least more popular) operating systems like those provided by Apple and Google. Microsoft has gone on and on about how easy this net operating system is to use and they offer tutorials for anyone too stupid to use it properly. I firmly believe that if you need a tutorial to navigate your device, it's not intuitive. My two year old son didn't need a tutorial to learn how to operate the iPhone and my mother didn't either. Come on Microsoft, can't you copy Apple better than that?

No comments:

Post a Comment